Saturday, June 1, 2013

Move Over, Betty Crocker!

When I was pregnant with each of my three kiddos, about the best advice I ever got was to start prepping and freezing meals about a month or two before the due date.  Once a baby was born and Neal and I were bogged down with all that comes with having a helpless, needy (and beautiful) infant, there was such relief to be able to go to the freezer, pick out something "casserolish" and pop it into the oven with no more worries for the night.  I am taking that same advice now.

Tonight, I am making Maid Rites (aka sloppy joes, nip nips, loose meat BBQ), and also realize I could create a blog just on all the different names for this sandwich.  I have tripled the recipe and will freeze whatever's leftover after tonight's dinner for the grandparents to heat up while they are here.  My kids are not huge casserole fans, so I have to be creative in what I can prepare for easy reheating.  Here are some of the things we will be preparing over the course of the next couple weeks that take freezing and reheating well:

If you have any to add for ideas, I would love to hear them!!
Pair any of the above with a fresh fruit and veggie or salad and the night's dinner should be fairly simple.

Tip: We are putting each of these into a disposable tin, so as not to tie up all my casserole dishes, cake pans, and pie plates.  Cover with saran wrap, cover again with tin foil tightly, and write the baking instructions on the tinfoil with marker.  BE SURE TO REMOVE THE SARAN WRAP BEFORE BAKING.

1 comment:

  1. Just found a calzone recipe, since the kids were asking about pizza. This one look great! http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-homemade-calzones-46645

    ReplyDelete